The Botanical Garden

Everything that slows us down and forces patience, 

everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, 

is a help. 

Gardening is an instrument of grace.  

~ May Sarton

Hard to go wrong starting with a bed of poppies!

This slightly purple one really grabbed me.

Ahhhh!

I missed the "Royal" Botanical Garden in Edinburgh - no time. And I suspect I would have missed seeing most of it even if I'd the time to go there - it is enormous! Then the Inverness Botanical Garden appeared at the end of our Ness Island walk and invited us in. We found that it is a much more approachable size and lovely.

Imagine my surprise to wander through the door the "tropical" greenhouse  only to discover that it was a portal home! Plants of my parent's garden and mine were all around me! It was a reunion of sorts - greeting long lost friends at every turn.

The Tropical Garden

Bougainvillea

Gardeners in the UK love Spanish moss.

Crinum Lilies (I've these in my garden.)

So many familiar plants.


Then we (carefully) slipped into West Texas (and more) in the cactus/succulent garden.

I cannot say that I knew all of the cacti.

The Cactus Garden


Then the meadow made us dance.

While some of the flowers made the bees dance.



Many of the plants were for sale...

What a wonderful resource for local gardeners!


And there were many examples of ways to use them in pots or plantings.



I love this group of plants!

And doesn't everyone need a raised bed?

St. John's Wort and maybe a yarrow?

I wish my garden looked like this! Trees and understory so perfectly designed.

There were ponds and paths and places to rest (for birds and people and beasts).

One pond had Koi 

Rest and food for the birds 

Rest for the humans

A place to wander

A secret passageway?

I love the mix of height, color, and texture.

Raised beds

Designed for interest in all seasons. Those must be Iris on the left for some spring color.

Lovely texture in the blooms.

Beautiful planting by the tea shop.



We might have observed some usually hidden moments when we chatted with a staffer who was turning the compost.




And there were lovely flowers that simply made us smile

Passionflower


Is this a variety of Ragweed? I suspect I have homework...

...especially after I convinced myself that this had to be a nightshade - only to discover it is a Borage, a common herb. 






Thistles about to bloom.

Geraniums? 

I always envy those who can grow hostas. It is too hot and dry in my garden.

Oh, look! Another bumble bee in the cornflowers.

I do not think I have visited a country where I haven't seen at least one clematis.



It was nice to recognize the small broch* in the garden. It's for the Beasties.


The Beastie Broch where Beasties Come to Rock.

Perhaps my favorite little "Beastie" inhabiting the gardens was this little European Wood Mouse that cautiously left its hiding place as we were passing by.



There was a little movement along the path. We stopped and watched.

It was a little mouse.

I would have called it a garden mouse...

...had iNaturalist not identified it as a European Wood Mouse.


Perhaps we are not really sinners in the hands of an angry God, after all. 
Perhaps we are all more like seedlings in the hands of a wise gardener.

~ Seth Adam Smith, Rip Van Winkle and the Pumpkin Lantern


NOTES:

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broch


Map of the gardens:



Pollinator Garden Information:

Comments