While the Ice Cream Melts

Where the wild wild flowers grow and the winter waters flow

There's a place that I've always loved the best...

~ Ola Bell Reed*

The tank is full and over-flowing. I'll be checking on them for a few more days (at least).

One of the usual suspects, a Great Blue Heron, which often chases the Great Egrets away from the pond.

The rains came at last.

For two days it has washed the dust out of the air. Some of it came during the night. Some caught us unawares - out on our walk (and we hustled home). And how could we avoid one or two trips out to the ponds** to see if they caught a little water? 

Seriously - wouldn't you want to know if the crows were calling, hawks flying, frogs and toads introducing themselves*** (one last chance for a dance, perhaps).

Many of the ponds had dried up this summer. Only a few are expected to hold water during most of the year and even those were getting shallow and scummy. The rest are really wet-weather ponds, low spots that fill when the rains come. Some of those had been dry for months.

I debated the trip as I waited for the groceries (It was early and the rain was pouring down). 

What did I order? Did I have anything that needed to be refrigerated quickly? Did I order ice cream? I couldn't remember. But just as I needed to turn right (towards home) or left (towards the ponds) the traffic cleared and I thought - only a few minutes. I'd just take a quick look.

So, we took time we did not have and dodged the raindrops. Most of the birds were smarter than us - waiting out the storms. 

What would be happening? Nothing much.

Have the birds started moving out or are they gathering? Not so as I noticed (except for the cowbirds).

We rolled down the road and lowered the windows for "clearer" shots. And I caught a few "Really???" looks from Z (I use HER window most of the time) as the rain came in. It was just a little.  Ah, but Zelda does not like to get wet. She doesn't like to wade. She doesn't enjoy baths. She hates to get caught in the rain. Even a few drops coming in the window are a few too many for Z. [How she is mine is a mystery. I guess we each tolerate the other's strangeness.]

And the ice cream melted, but we found the wild for a few minutes.

So now I am reviewing the photos (the light was bad and the photos are dark - HELLO, raining!) and listening to a favorite musician sing. I will leave you with a few words from one of his songs:


I know a place where the trees lean together
I know a woods they forgot to take away.
We could be standing under the green branches.
We could go astray....

~John Spillane, While They're All Talking


NOTES:

*Ola Bell Reed & Family, Where the Wild Wild Flowers Grow 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh4ZIJrmET4

**I first learned about this place from notices of rare bird sightings. Then, when I had vertigo for weeks, my dear one drove me out, just so I could be outside and see something of nature. Getting out of the car was not required. So this place is special to me and it's continued to be a gift. I don't care if the birds are common or rare. I just want to see them.

*** I've heard Narrow-mouthed Toads and Green Treefrogs so far. A trip at dusk is certainly in my future.

****A little bit about John Spillane (who sings more than a little of my life): 
https://www.irelandsown.ie/john-spillane-the-corkman-bringing-ballads-to-life/
https://www.irishpost.com/entertainment/fair-play-to-john-spillane-2541

Comments