Seeking Sanctuary and a Rendezvous with an Old Love

This large stone is engraved with a cross. The stone marks the inside of the monastic site. It is through the second arch of the entrance. If you made it to this point you were in a sacred and protective space - sanctuary. (1)

I am in need of music that would flow
Over my fretful, feeling finger-tips,
Over my bitter-tainted, trembling lips,
With melody, deep, clear, and liquid-slow.
Oh, for the healing swaying, old and low....

~ Elizabeth Bishop, from Sonnet

Young buskers in Kilkenny

The flora - wild and domesticated - was worth the trip. I spent part of four days at the National Botanical Gardens and loved every minute. I need to find a source for these stunning poppies.

As far as adventures in Ireland, this was a simple one - to plan and to execute. I would fly to Dublin and spend four days "getting my legs under me." Then I would take a day tour that would take me to Glendalough, the Wicklow Mountains, and Kilkenny. I'd get off the bus in Kilkenny and check in for the Kilkenny Arts Festival.


The festival runs 10 days of visual and performing arts. It is beautiful, comforting, challenging, mind-blowing, and more. 

After the festival, I'd head back to Dublin for any last minute things before heading home.

I judiciously used the lanes and passageways in both Dublin and Kilkenny...only in daylight. 

WHY CHOOSE THIS ADVENTURE? THIS LOCATION? A FESTIVAL?

Here we go:

* Ireland is still a safe place to travel solo. I love this country and her people.
* Public transportation is easy to navigate even it is not always the most convenient.
* Kilkenny began its arts festival in 1974 (they know how to host a festival) and it seemed a good/appropriate revisit (the last time was 2019 - before the world changed). (2)
* There is something for everyone at the official festival AND there is an "alternative festival" scheduled at the same time (more on that as time goes by). Having traveled to many festivals in Ireland - just go. You will be happy.
* Kilkenny holds a special place in my heart - from my first visit in 1977 when a B&B owner gave me the warmest bed in her home so that I could get over a bad cold.
* Kilkenny is ultimately walkable and I had no desire to drive. I'd easily call a cab when the distance was too great.

I've no idea how I'll divide up the experiences of the trip and complete the posts rather than leave orphaned posts as appears to be my MO.

CONCLUSION:

Really, don't you want the conclusion now to see if you want to bother with reading the rest? Don't you want a short and sweet answer to "would you do it again?" and "were you afraid?" and "what was great and what was not?"

The trip was marvelous. I was able to see and do all I'd hoped and so much more. Ireland came through with those surprising and magical experiences I have almost come to expect. I visited places I'd never been and revisited places and events I have loved. I met wonderful people, a few eccentric folks, and one or two who leave some questions in my mind. The wildlife was lovely even as I had not been able to dip more than a toe into the wild. The weather was nearly perfect.

I planned well (but over-packed), made all my connections, ate and drank sensibly, walked miles each day, enjoyed myself immensely, and reassured myself that this kind of solo travel is something I'll be ready to experience once again.

NOTES:

(1) I always feel a need to explain how this has happened - giving in once again and fleeing to Ireland. It's the twelfth time in 47 years, so just over one time each 4.25 years. Over half of the trips have been since retiring in 2015. DH and I agreed to return every year. It only took him 38 years to fully embrace Ireland, but he had indeed been won-over. It continues to be a place of beauty, peace, and sanctuary for me. 



Comments