"Welcome Home" from the Ponds

Nature is not a place to visit, 

it is home.

~ Gary Snyder

It's a misty and cool day today. Our morning walk was shortened by construction on the oldest bridge in the park. The rest of the morning's chores were accomplished in good time leaving sufficient gas and energy to visit the ponds.

I've not been out to the ponds in a month and needed to see what the recent rains brought. Were the ponds and tanks full? What new birds were settling or flying through? 

I've also started to think about the Christmas bird count. I'll need to determine whether or not I'll be here. If so, I'll need to spend some additional time visiting to know what's here...where things might be hiding...and how I plan to manage the ducks. <sigh>

Ducks are the bane of my efforts at bird watching/counting. Ducks are hard. Males and females rarely look alike. Some females of different species look the same (to me, anyway). Ducks are often in rather large and diverse groups so one must pay close attention. From a distance and with no sun to divulge the shine of a green head or gleam of color on a wing or the like, they often seem to be big brown/grey/black birds. And, as is my way with the garden, I'm a lazy birdwatcher on most days. I tend to ignore the birds I don't like (blasted cormorants) or the little brown birds (heaven give me patience with all the little brown birds) or the ducks. 

I knew today would also be difficult because the light was wrong and the mist would blur anything at a distance - and so many of the ponds are distant while those near the road are still bearing the signs of the drought - silt, wild plant growth, and the like. 

It was difficult today, but it was also rich.

Here are the best photos of a bad lot. Not shown are the pintails as they were too far for photos even as they were close enough for me to recognize them. And many birds who were out in force today are represented by only a photo or two or four. How many Great Blue Herons do you need to see if all the photos are bad? 

But the birds who always bring tears to my eyes ARE excessively included - the hawk, the eagle, and the woodpecker. They all welcomed me (by their presence) and (as far as I'm concerned) made an effort to put on a little show even as their homes fall, are fenced, or dredged, or drained, or otherwise damaged. 

I included a few other shots as well. Birds aren't everything, after all.

How much I love this spot, this place where nature struggles on.

Meadowlark - we have Eastern and Western, but I have to relearn their calls and the minor difference in coloring every year. They arrived fairly recently and I'm still catching up.

I'm only putting this photo in because I wanted to demonstrate that, from a distance, even the Eastern Bluebird looks like a little brown bird. My camera picks out the almost neon gleam of the blue back feathers allowing me to identify them. Note: The app said this could be an Indigo Bunting, but I've not see one here and I'm fairly sure I can make out the red-ish breast of the bluebird here.

There were two Red-bellied Woodpeckers flying between two telephone poles and climbing up and down, looking for a meal.

I've rarely been as close to an American Kestrel as this. 

Red-shouldered Hawk. It seemed to be looking over its shoulder. It was quite a distance away. Remember this when I start weeping over sighting the Pileated Woodpecker.

One of at least 6 Great Blue Herons observed today.

Gadwalls. There are much of the time. They look dull in my photos, but are really beautiful ducks when photographed with better equipment.

This Bald Eagle was at the large pond south of the turn. There was another eagle a tree away, but it was partially obscured by a tree limb. You will see it further along.

A HUGE V-formation of birds flew over and landed to the south of the turn. I got only a quick shot, but I think they are cormorants. Whatever.

Once I turned around and "made the turn" to the north, I stopped to see if the hawk was still perched on the limb. It was not. As I look at other "dark blobs" on the distant trees I discovered one was this Pileated Woodpecker.

This was taken after the woodpecker flew over the road to the corner pond/tank. I've watched them here for years now. I've watched them excavate a nest more than once. They still make me cry.

This is where the woodpecker nested last year. Do you see it in this photo? It's there. This is why I need the camera. My eyes are bad and I'm useless (and pretty slow) with binoculars. [It's in the tree on the far right. You can see a dot between two bare limbs just above the remaining foliage. Trust me.]

About the time I was following the woodpecker from tree to tree I heard what sounded like a shot from south of the road. The birds on both sides of the ponds were agitated and then I saw and heard this Bald Eagle (certainly one seen just earlier) flying in, closely followed by a second eagle.

And there they are.

After the eagles flew in, the Pileated Woodpecker flew over to this tree. If you will look to the bottom right corner of this photo, you will notice another woodpecker. I suspect a nesting pair, but what do I know. I did not notice there were 2 woodpeckers until this point although I probably didn't know I was catching both in this photo.

Looking in a cavity?

Just after this shot the woodpeckers flew back to the other side of the road one at a time. They have a lovely flap and glide kind of flight. Once you have seen them, you don't forget it. Once you have heard them, you don't forget either. There is a bit of "Woody the Woodpecker" to the call.

Another GBH - this one hanging out at the turtle pond.

Another of the Meadowlarks. I'm including it as I remember how surprised I was to see them in the trees.

There are a number of Meadowlarks in this tree, but also a few European Starlings.

Eurasian Collard-Dove - one of many species not native to Texas.

I was surprised to see only this one Great Egret.

The final GBH. I liked this pose most of all.

One more Meadowlark. They are definitely here in multiple spots along the "bird crawl."

I love this little vine and would have it in my wild garden if I wasn't also afraid it would take over.

I watched three small bucks run through this field and escape over the fence(s). This fellow had a broken antler.

It's the only mockingbird I photographed and I'm quite fond of them so it gets to say "farewell,"



Comments