Garden Chaos - Don't Tell Monty*

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments.
~ Janet Kilburn Phillips

Crinim Lilies. This is the second scape of blooms. I'm going to see if it will need fertilizer as I would hate for the bulb to bloom itself out.

It's been two weeks since I spent any serious time in the garden. A dear friend kept both gardens watered while I was away (bless her!) and so it was time to take stock and examine what late summer would demand. Yes, I'm doing what I can now and making a list.


Now, for a disclaimer: The gardens continue (and will continue) to be experimental and relaxed. I plant things. Birds plant things. Stuff grows or not. I fertilize on Friday.** I water as needed.  And this ridiculously hot/dry weather we have been suffering meant I would need someone to water a time or two while I was away for over a week (more on that later). 

So, I set up the hoses and provided directions for the friend, who volunteered to see to the cat and turn on the hoses, were simple. Just turn on the hose when you come to visit with the cat and turn them off when you leave. It worked!***


After two days of unpacking, laundry, and addressing some tree damage at the old place, it was time for me to get back to the garden, but the rules changed a bit while I was gone. It is still hot as the devil here and there is no rain in the forecast.****  I returned to Stage 2 water restrictions. Landscape irrigation is allowed during certain hours on certain days of the week.  Fortunately for me, I have saved some rainwater from early spring rains. I'll be able to supplement watering the vegetable garden with that saved water. I'll also be considering investment in a few more storage containers when the fall rains arrive (God willing).

The weeds and unwanted plants have taken advantage of my time away. I could see the need for "deadheading" many of the perennials, grabbed the kitchen shears, and was ruthless with the Engelmann Daisy, coneflowers, gaillardia, and the salvias. Other plants have spread and needed thinning. So many plants will self-seed and take over if not held-in-check. OUT with the Prairie Peas, Common Sunflowers, Thai Basil, and that little devil Tie Vine. There was also a small bit of Johnson Grass (took me 3 years to get rid of some at the old house) and dreaded Bermuda Grass. I pulled the Johnson grass and it looks like I caught it at the right time. I'm about to mix up some "kill the Bermuda Grass" vinegar and orange oil spray. Application will be careful as I don't want to eliminate any desired plants. 

The vegetables look tired, but continue to slowly produce. I still have cucumbers,  tomatoes, okra, and pepper plants. And slowly is more than enough for me. Woohoo!

Some photos of the garden today: 

WILD:

Looking right from the porch.

Looking left - see all that basil.

FAR left - all the way to the fig tree (still no figs).

One of the gauras decided to start blooming again (trim and water).

And the other!

I may one day have a garden full of this - and maybe a couple of other succulents.

I'm so glad this sweet little flower is still blooming.

Ladybug!

Salvias and tie vine. :-(

VEGETABLE:

Yes. I know the covers are weird, but it seemed the veg could use a little shade in the 100+ degrees.

One of the Serrano pepper plants I grew from seed. I'm trying out some different beds.

A yellow cherry tomato added mid-summer as the other tomatoes began to look ragged.

I'm still counting on the Juliets to get me through to the first frost.

I found a cucumber! I ate it too. Woohoo!

Italian Peppers are still growing.

The Sweet 100s are still producing.

Basil blocking the paths.

If you've got the money honey, I've got the thyme!

Sweet 100s and Juliets

Onions harvested before my trip and left drying.

Potted plants I brought into the house to see if I could clear the porch from additional watering issues.

Johnson Weed. I remember these rhizomes!

NOTES:

* Monty Don is the host of a TV show on gardening in the UK. I watch for a few moments of peace with my tea every week or so. His gardening bears little resemblance to mine (location, weather, available plants, etc.), but one can learn so much from other gardeners about design and such. Anyway, his garden is usually stunning (and over 30 years in the making). His is 2 acres. Mine is 30' x 60' +/-. He seems to like a little more order than I do and he doesn't worry about native/non-native planting. I honor efforts at a focus on native-plants. https://www.montydon.com/

** I've not been good at keeping up, however the plants have received a "side dressing" of worm castings some weeks ago and at least one additional topping of fish emulsion earlier in the season. So, the calendar shamed me and I fertilized the vegetable garden today.

*** The garden still looks good. It seems to have received the care it needed until I could get home to de-weed and trim some dead branches. The young man who mows did move two of the hoses. I had not anticipated that. I'll need to make alternative watering arrangements for future trips. 

**** This is the point where folks start talking about hurricanes...but with the high sitting on top of us, that is not going to happen. 

Comments