And Suddenly...It Looks Like a Garden Again

This Bewick's Wren sang to me yesterday showing me where the pair had decided to nest this year. It sang again this morning as I finished my work.

One misty moisty morning when cloudy was the weather
I met with an old man a-clothed all in leather
He was clothed all in leather with a cap beneath his chin
Singing how do you do and how do you do and how do you do again.

~ Steeleye Span

I set aside this morning to try and get the garden clean-up finished. It's been damp - a fine mist since early this morning. Grabbing a fleece vest and sheers I decided to work until I needed to stop (too wet/too cold/too sore/ too tired whatever). 

This is spring break. It's only 10 days since my last post and a bit shocking how much needs to be done - still. I have removed 9 contractors trash bags full of clippings from the garden and off to a friend's old quarry.* I've planted a great deal of the vegetable garden (and replanted a little**). The little sprouts popping up all over about 1/3 of the garden are, indeed, sunflowers. Well, that is not an option so I've spend a couple of hours pulling those up.***

Things looked pretty good when I finished today...just about the time I felt a little chill, my socks were soaked, and my glasses were covered with the misty weather. There's still a way to go.

It already looks pretty nice, but needs more weeding and mulch. At least the dead wood is pretty much down.

A look across to fig corner. It's showing signs of growth, but I may still have to trim back most of the limbs.

The happy corner - time to wash and fill feeders.

5 more bags of dead-wood and trimmings.

Fall Aster. It's beautiful, but nuts where I've planted it. I've moved one and will be attempting to dig up two. This might be a good spot for a small water feature (?)


I'm sharing the Aster cuttings with neighbors and Eldred's Nursery. I'm experimenting with "keeping them alive." I'm glad to recycle. They are great plants. Repeat after me: Right Plant/Right Place.

Frank is keeping an eye on this baby I'm growing for a friend. He's a naturalist in Michigan and we've shared plants before. He says he might be able to get me an Atlantic Camas. 

I suppose I will always have a nursery of some kind here. These are Chinquapin Oaks.

The vegetable garden has changed a bit this year.

Blackberries

This is what happens when one plants before the last freeze date.  You have to figure a way to protect the tomatoes, peppers, and whatever else you plant early. Tomatoes and peppers don't like weather below 41 degrees. Guess we will see what happens. We have 2 days coming with weather in the 40s and two in the 30s. 

A friend brought me cilantro. I have two pots of it. Woohoo!

Potatoes! There will be new potatoes and Yukon Gold. All are growing! [Please ignore the ugly shoes!]

One of those tomatoes I should not have bought. I swore I would only get two  tomatoes. I got four. I don't listen to myself! 

The Blackberries are blooming like they know what they are doing!

When you have to cover tender plants you try many things. Since it isn't supposed to freeze, fingers crossed these pots will be enough to satisfy the tomatoes and peppers. GOOD NEWS! We just had a rain storm blow through and all the covers stayed in place!

While not a native, this oxalis is a memory plant. It's from Mrs. Russell's garden.

Last year's bloomers are coming up and promising.

I don't remember purchasing this, but I also only remember propagating one. 

This is the second time I've rescued Dakota Mock Vervain  "from the wild - to the wild." 

Last year I had basil and red sage taking over the wild garden. This is the summer of the sunflowers. It will be funny to look back on this and I will be able to laugh next year, maybe.

The Buttonbush survived the winter. I love these.

The demon sunflowers. I'll be weeding them all summer, I'm sure.

This is my first Bluebonnet up from seed. It's in the front yard. I have no idea why I didn't plant in the back. Maybe I did and just don't remember. Whatever the case, none are in the wild garden.


NOTES

*They are working on building soil there.

**All my chard, one tomato, and my first cucumber were eaten by something. Replacements for the tomato and cucumber were protected using the "plant in a cardboard tube" protective method learned watching Gardeners World, I think). Luckily I'd saved a couple of paper towel tubes - just enough to complete the garden. Oh, wow. That was a reminder to plant some chard. I'm going to put it in a 6-pack. 

***Mom always said "never plant more than you can weed." I'm wondering if I stepped over that line...jumped past the line...pole-vaulted beyond...motored beyond....


Yesterday one bird was looking out of the house and the other was perched on the fence. I still think the presence and the song today is a good omen!

Comments