Arthur's Seat - What Was I Thinking?



Life is now ... 

this day, this hour ... 

and is probably the only experience of the kind one is to have.

~ Charles Macomb Flandrau

There might have been a bit of drinking the night before the proposed climb/hike up the hill. I had water people. It wasn't the whisky or beer talking when I agreed to the hike.

A nice local group was performing at the Thistle, but it had been a long day. After a completely sober decision to  attempt the climb, I headed back to the hotel. I would need my rest.

As is castle hill in Edinburgh, Arthur's Seat is an extinct volcano.* It is a stunning thing to see rising up about a mile (a little more than a "royal" mile) from city center and the view from the top is stunning as well. But first one must climb it. 

So those of us game for a climb wandered off to Holyrood Park. At the far end of the "royal mile" (Edinburgh Castle is at the city center end) is Holyrood Palace. 

The Queen tours Scotland in the summer and invites people to a party in the garden of Holyrood Palace. They were preparing for the event.

I probably would not have made more than a passing mention of thepalace, but for a rather fortuitous  experience. As we approached thepalace we noticed a group of kilted soldiers just inside the gates - theScots were armed with drums and bagpipes (and a little brass). Following the appropriate signals, the gates opened and we were treated to a song and march.**

We probably should have asked. I think this was the band of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. 

We were not sure why some wore fake tiger pelts. After dismissal, I found a kid and asked. He had no idea. ***  I also wondered which tartan they wore. It's the Black Watch tartan, a government tartan.

We climbed the "easy" route. Many seemed to dance up. I did not dance. I trudged. I stopped and caught my breath. I wondered (sometimes aloud) at the mistake. I attempted to give up, but my friends wouldn't let me. [I must be a "pill" of a travel companion.]

But we made it to the top, enjoyed the views, and then carefully headed back down to the bottom. Everyone looked after everyone else and I don't think anyone missed a step.

We also didn't miss the ice cream vender and toasted our success with some soft-serve.

The Joke: There's always a joke.

Sometimes more than one. 

If you want to see the joke, 

check the notes. It's #4 or **** 


Ruins of St. Anthony's Chapel - I should have realized - He's the patron saint of lost things.

Yes! Yes! Those are swans.

St. Margaret's Lough - I'd turn around to snap a photo as the climbing got a little tougher and the view even more amazing.

And there is the sea!

How does one get to the top of Arthur's Seat? Just keep going!




Dear friends wait while you rest and encourage you to the top!

I felt no need to wander around the top.

Edinburgh below.

A raven stayed with us atop the hill and almost posed while I took photos of the landscape below.

The Raven and I look down at the swans in the lake.


We headed down slowly. Down is not usually harder than up, but more dangerous.

What is that down at the bottom of the hill?

Do you see it? Seriously! A number of folks wasted no time to see what was on offer.  No fools, they.

Woohoo! It wasn't a mirage! Ice cream truck to the rescue!

Reward in-hand.

NOTES:

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur%27s_Seat

With a score of 118.9, Arthur's Seat is "moderately strenuous" according to the rating system of the National Park Service. 

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/how-to-determine-hiking-difficulty.htm

https://www.visitscotland.com/blog/nature-geography/volcanoes-in-scotland/

** I tried to upload my video, but no luck!

***Apparently, the base drum is so heavy that it would wear on the uniform. Those drummers were authorized to wear an animal skin over their uniform to protect it from damage.

****A couple of Americans came flitting up the hill wearing kilts. The lads were moving back and forth and at one point as I looked out at the scenery commenting, "Oh, lovely!" one young man said (not missing a beat) "Thank you!" Then he then blushed. I suppose he though he'd flashed me as he and another kilted friend passed above me. 


This was some of the replacement gear American Airlines reimbursed me for recently. I passed them along to a friend who will be taking a hiking vacation soon. The trekking poles were great. Cannot say much for the shoes.


Comments