Even a Blind Pig or a Hungry Heron

Stalking along from log to log, 

or blunging their long legs in the oozy swamp, 

two large herons paid no attention to my presence, 

but occupied themselves with their own fishing arrangements, 

as if their wilderness were their own. 

~William Cowper Prime


Just a few birds cooperated today...but what birds!

THE HERON

As I drove up I slowed, hoping the heron would not startle. It was right at the fence. Then I noticed the fish. Food was the focus. I don't think the bird even notice me as it juggled the fish to get it in the right position to swallow it whole.


It was a nice catch!

Open Wide!

Line up those fins pointing away...

Some things are hard to swallow.

You can almost watch it go down...



PIED-BILLED GREBE:

These little water birds are almost always at the ponds. A pair swims together in the turtle pond. Often the camera will focus just before the bird dives...but not today.


The "side eye" from this grebe gives it a little smirking look.


THE NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD:

I love mockers. This one played "hide-n-seek" with me for a good few minutes before I moved along.



THE SPARROWS:

I had seen a Harris's Sparrow* photo taken by a birder friend earlier in the week and was quite excited when one showed up on my short drive today. Then another sparrow horned in on the photos. I believe it is a White-crowned Sparrow.


L to R Harris's Sparrow and White-crowned Sparrow

I was attempting to call up birds and, about the time these guys showed up, the camera ran out of memory.

I frantically erased enough old photos (mostly ducks) to snap some shots of these sparrows.

I'm sure someone will confirm or correct my identification. It's a bird with some stunning markings.

EGRET:

Well, I'm just throwing this Great Egret in as a place to comment on all the egrets at the ponds. I saw something like 20 or 30 over the last few days. I suspect quite a few are Cattle Egrets hanging around late in the season due to the warm weather. Unfortunately they are too far for a "good look." Usually there is nothing nearby to give me an idea of their relative size. I cannot report them.

This large egret is definitely a Great Egret.



NOTES:

*Who is Harris and why is this HIS sparrow?

Google says: The common name of this species commemorates the American amateur ornithologist Edward Harris. A group of Harris's Sparrows are collectively known as a "poll" of sparrows.


Comments