My Sister Gave Me Bird Socks

I looked up and there it was

among the green branches of the pitchpines- 

thick bird, 

a ruffle of fire trailing over the shoulders and down the back-

color of copper, iron, bronze-                                                  

lighting up the dark branches of the pine.

What misery to be afraid of death.

What wretchedness, to believe only in what can be proven.

When I made a little sound                                                    

it looked at me, then it looked past me.

Then it rose, the wings enormous and opulent,                                 

and, as I said, wreathed in fire.

~Mary Oliver, I LOOKED UP

I was looking for sparrows when I turned the corner, looked up, and was surprised by the Red-shouldered Hawk glowing among the naked-branched trees between the road and the creek.

Yes, it did look at me...

...and then away before it flew.

Yes, I was wearing my lucky bird socks my sister just sent to me. It's good to have a sibling providing clean laundry as I've been slow to do the wash. And I was skipping out on it once again -- to hike in the park and to check on the ponds.

Commercial Break: 

I hope you have found a place to escape and soothe your soul during these chaotic times. I have a few - some near, some far. And I hope you can talk yourself into taking care of yourself, even it is only a few moments a day -- to escape into a book, a hot bath, a walk with a friend (four legged or two - both work), some moments in nature, or whatever slows your pulse and relaxes your tense muscles and allows you to breathe out that breath your are holding. <sigh> 

Lately I have found my self sharing one message - you deserve it. So many folks are taking care of so many things and it has been one easy way for me to remind them to take care of themselves. You deserve it! Buy the expensive moisturizer! Take a nap! Eat the dad-gum chocolate cake! 

Life is short and life is hard. And lately, life has been crazy. I know and you know how hard you are working to take care of others. Just don't forget to take care of you.

The escape begins - The Park:                                                                                    

On this cold morning the park was pretty empty, but there were friends and dogs and birds - who needs more that that? 

We saw the usual birds and walked the usual paths. But at one point we went different directions. My friend stayed to the path and I headed through the dead grass towards last year's hawk nest. I'd seen a blue jay chasing a hawk in that direction and decided to look around for a bit. 

I did not find the hawk. I did not find the old nest.* But I found the Blue Jays.

The Blue Jays are busy birds and I am slow with the camera. Today we coordinated.

The light cooperated too. 

Loud and feisty birds!

We saw cardinals, mockers, warblers, grackles, starlings, vultures, kingfisher, herons, waxwings and more (those must be lucky socks). We talked about keeping an eye out for where (fingers crossed) the hawks rebuild their nest and we wondered aloud about the Red-bellied Woodpeckers who had not been observed excavating the cavity they had been working on near where we begin and end our walks.

As we reached the end of the hike we saw a flash of red. The woodpeckers were at the tree!

They both flew as we arrived. Might we have baby Red-bellies this year?

I do hope you have a park or other wild place where you can let nature heal some of the ravages of life. It might take some "looking," but the search can be part of the adventure. I'm betting on you. And you deserve it!

The Escape Continues - The Ponds and the "Bird Crawl": 

After the park we headed out to see what we might find at the ponds. The light was amazing for photos of birds usually too distant for recognition. The ducks are adjusting to traffic on the county road and so they are hanging around in the flooded areas near enough for identifiable (if not really sharable) photos. 

What ducks? Thanks for asking. I recognized Green-winged Teal, Northern Shovelers, Ring-necked Ducks, Gadwalls, Hooded Mergansers, and Pintails.** I'm still hoping to see Blue-winged Teal and Cinnamon Teal, but they seem to show up a little later. At the end of the winter I plan to share all the ducks who have allowed me to take a decent photo. It's up to them. 

There were also Killdeer, Greater Yellowlegs, Wilson's Snipe, a Bald Eagle, the Vermilion Flycatcher and a variety of other birds. AND best of all I saw some long-time friends and neighbors. We shared "intelligence" on the location of birds we'd seen that day and the previous before heading different directions. 

Here are a few more photos from the ponds (and what I sometimes call "the bird crawl") today and earlier that I have not shared here.*** 

I never get this close to the crows. Except the painting of a crow at the house (by Sallyann Beirne, an Irish artist).**** 

Maybe they are not supposed to be here, but I still find them beautiful. Eurasian Collared Dove.

Wickedly lethal birds, the Loggerhead Shrike often saves its "extra" prey on a thorn or the barb of a barbed wire fence. I have only been lucky enough to observe this twice.  The first was at Berry Springs Park in Williamson County. The next photo is #2. In both situations the shrike was fairly nearby. 

Impaled grasshopper. It's a relief birds aren't any bigger than they are.

Greater Yellowlegs (the legs really are yellow). I have recently learned to tell the difference between the "Greater" and "Lesser." [I'm still a bad birder...but I do have fun.]

One of the big draws to this location. The Vermilion Flycatcher is stunning. I understand folks have also seen a female here. If I have seen her, I don't know it.  I have seen him on every visit since Dec. 16.

I saw the Bald Eagle twice this week. Most of the time the light is so terrible I'm lucky to get a photo. On this day it was clear and bright.

Do you see the eagle? This is my way of showing how lucky I am to get any kind of photo. Here I'm at the edge of the road with my right wheels in the ditch shooting through the passenger window. [If Zelda is sitting there I often have to battle her curly hair sticking up into the photos. But most of the time she is already bored and napping.]

I'm not set up for snagging a bird in flight, but every now and again the planets align and I get something. Here is the eagle heading back towards the nest. And I guess I'll add a few other birds in flight as an example of the struggle.

Great Blue Heron in flight. With large birds that have clear field marks or particular behavior, my terrible flight photos can be "good enough."

The same goes for this Great Egret - they are fairly easy to identify. I probably should mention that all the birds fly frequently between the ponds. There are many permanent ponds in this area as well as intermittent ponds. I counted about 10 that I can see at any given time.

American Kestrels are are smallish birds - about the size of a dove - but they have distinctive behavior that makes them easy to identify in flight.

I love this drive even though I often get few photos. Sometimes there is a whole adventure within a few feet - like the time a I saw nothing until a car sped by and a cloud of Cedar Waxwings flew up. I had not noticed them at all.

I don't think I have a favorite bird, but I do dearly love Northern Mockingbirds.
 
Downy Woodpecker


Wait! There has to be a sparrow before I end this:

Song Sparrow

Birders warn you about sparrows (just as entomologists warn you about beetles). There are many sparrows, somewhat difficult to differentiate. Charts are available for guidance.

The Song Sparrow really can sing***** and is a lovely little bird. I'm not trying to become an expert, but when I have the chance to observe them, I'll enjoy them.


ONE LAST STORY - The Hawk and the Crow: 

A few days ago I was trying to take photos of a Red-tailed Hawk. It flew a short distance, perched, flew, and perched. Then a crow came out of nowhere and attacked. I'm going to leave that group of photos here so I can record the tale.

I have seen mockingbirds and Blue Jays harassing hawks, but this is the first time I think I have seen a crow participate in this behavior. I'm always surprised to see the hawk patiently take the bullying before leaving the area.

While heading to the ponds on Tuesday I saw this hawk. It was the second hawk of the drive. The first had been a Red-shouldered Hawk and I was pretty sure this was a Red-tailed, but I wanted better photos. I pulled over and then up as the drama began.

First perch. You can just see the red tail feathers.

Leaving the second perch (almost across the road from the first).

Crossing the road again the hawk found a taller utility pole and the crow began its attack.

The crow would attack and then rest nearby - "cawing" the whole time.

The LOOK.

Attack.

Another LOOK.

The hawk went to a fourth perch, closely followed by the crow.

Wish I had a better camera, but I'm pretty fond of this shot.

Aerial ballet.

Another attack.

They were in a bit of a stand-off when I decided I needed to get out of the way. 

NOTES: 

* This will be the second year the Red-shouldered Hawks have had to build a nest. Their old nest that we watched for two years fell and they rebuilt about 50 yards away. I've read that they rework and reuse nests for years. #1 I hope they are not discouraged from nesting in the park. #2 I hope it is far enough from people so they can nest in peace. #3 I hope I can find it for cautious/non-disturbing photos!

** I take photos "good enough" to use for iNaturalist, 

*** Sorry. I have had much to do. Some days it seems that I've developed a resistance to productivity. I've always been a difficult child.

**** Sallyann Beirne, Artist:  https://www.facebook.com/Sallyann-Beirne-Artist-1458999891008076

***** Song Sparrow song:  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Song_Sparrow/sounds


My lucky bird socks < shhhh! She actually sent me 3 pairs! 2 more days before I have to do the laundry!>








Comments