The Bride Wore Blue (and the greatest of these is love)

What I'll give you
Since you've asked
Is all my time together
Take the rugged sunny days
The warm and rocky weather
Take the roads that I have walked
Looking for tomorrow's time
Peace of mind --
As my life spills into yours
Changing with the hours
Filling up the world with time
Changing time to flowers
I can show you all the songs
That I never sang to someone before.
We have seen a million stones
Lying by the water
You have climbed the hills with me
To the mountain shelter
Taking off the days
One by one
Setting them to breath
In the sun.
Take the lilies and the lace
From the days of childhood
All the willow winding paths
Leading up and outward
This is what I give
This is what I ask you for
Nothing more.
~ Judy Collins, Since You've Asked

It was a pandemic wedding.  The masked bride and groom showed up at the courthouse and were joined in-person by the officiant and a witness (as family and friends attended virtually).* 

A search of newspaper articles recently had disclosed the bride's maternal grandparents' wedding announcement which related the event in great detail. It was hard not to think of that wedding as this wedding day dawned. 

At the long-ago wedding the bride wore a French grey suit with rhinestone buttons.  She carried pink camellias. Her mother wore a black faille** suit with pearl trimmed cuffs. The church (in the bride's home town) was decorated with chrysanthemums and packed with family and friends. And that once-upon-a-time couple honeymooned in the Texas hill country before returning to school and work.

Today's couple wore blue. They were able to remove their masks for the vows (the officiant and witness more than social distanced). Through their laughter and tears the bride and groom exchanged vows and rings. And they were surrounded by love. 

To mark this day how about a blessing?

Favor them with happiness and peace.
Amen.
NOTES:

* A live-stream was offered by the clerk's office.
** You might wonder what faille is (as I did). It is a soft, light-woven fabric having a ribbed texture and originally made of silk.

[I might have been saving this photo a good long while.] 



Comments