One Is For Sorrow

One for sorrow

Two for joy

Three for a girl

Four for a boy

Five for Silver

Six for Gold

Seven for a secret

Never to be told

~ Irish Nursery Rhyme*


Oh, the poor magpie, just another corvid considered a "bad omen."  I had no clue until looking at the art work of one of my favorite Irish artists, Sallyann Beirne** and she referred to the rhyme which she shared with me (and it certainly resonated). I'm a corvid (and nursery rhyme) lover.

I suppose it was enough to encourage me to head to the ponds for a little drive-by. Well, the rhyme and the 5 or so inches of rain our area received overnight made me think there might be something to see. I saw no crows and no ravens (although one crow called from a distance).  

The usual suspects were out at the ponds - three species of egret, herons, swallows, phoebes, scissor-tails, and mockingbirds. A few frogs and toads have begun to call. I missed a number of shots (must remember to bring a photo card with room on it. Birds do not wait), but will try and get back in the habit of checking my equipment.

A new routine is difficult to develop, but there is no rush. The ponds are refreshed and the rains bode well for a decent fall migration and interesting observations to come. 

I will find peace (yes, and joy) whether there are crows to be counted or not.*** 

Here are the birds (sorry that the photos aren't better - it's what I took):


Barn Swallow

There were hundreds of swallows all along the roads...probably a mix of barn, cliff, and rough-winged.

Okay, it is NOT a bird. It's a milkweed. It was also in the middle of a field, so this is as close as I can get to an identification.

It is hard to miss the shape of a Mourning Dove...

...and the same goes for the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

Cowbirds

A cow AND Cattle Egrets

Northern Mockingbird

Great Egret

I worked hard for this shot. Red-tailed Hawk. 

Snowy Egrets

Another Snowy I included so you can see the "flesh-colored" feet. That with the black beak (with a little flesh where it meets the head) is how you identify. My brother taught me that.

Rough-winged swallow

A rather ratty looking Great Blue Heron

NOTES:

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_for_Sorrow_(nursery_rhyme) [I love how this rhyme has inspired musicians. It has inspired me as well. There may not be magpies, but there are crows and ravens in my future.]

** To find Sallyann Beirne (trust me - you want to look at her work!):

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Artist/Sallyann-Beirne-Artist-1458999891008076/

or https://www.russellgallery.net/Sallyann_Beirne/Sallyann_Beirne.html

[Full disclosure: I own two of Sallyann's works - "Looking West" (a raven looking to the left I purchased in 2018) and "The Finch" (a finch doing its fluttery finch-thing that came to my home to honor the House Finches that were the first birds to find my feeders this year). The works have pride of place in my home. I'd have more of her works, but I am de-acquiring these days. Of course, one never knows.]

*** Don't ask my secret. I'll never tell.

Comments