Early Spring in the Garden

The delicious soft, spring-suggesting air,

—how it fills my veins with life! 

Life becomes again credible to me. 

A certain dormant life awakes in me, 

and I begin to love nature again.

~ Henry David Thoreau, The Journal, 1837-1861


Yes. The garden is waking up. I wandered out as the fog of the morning was starting to burn-off (in what will be a 90 degree day. Yes, a 90 degree day in February). 

I'll water the vegetables and pull a few weeds before it is too hot to manage outside. 

The weather is confusing the plants and, hopefully, frightening the humans.

I intend to garden.

The Wild Garden


The wren flew across the garden and drew my attention to the Mexican Redbud beginning to bloom.

This small tree has been in the garden for a couple of years.

The Buttonbush (see the round "button" in the background?) It likes moisture and it in the drainage area. Pollinators LOVE the blooms.

One of the Altheas - they formed the initial structure of the wild garden. I carried the cutting home from Louise's garden in New Rochelle. 

The Mexican Buckeye. I love this little tree so much. I cannot count the times I've gathered seeds - from the Frio, from a murdered tree at the college where I once worked, and from different parks and wild areas. <3

I'm not sure I'm a good steward of the Kidneywood. Still, it seems to be doing okay - so far.

This is the first year the fig did not freeze back to the ground. Might there be figs?

Texas Redbud - it took me a while to find the right size plant. 

Mountain Laurel. Something is propagating here. I need to figure it out.
This doesn't look like an insect I want to encourage, but I will do the research - starting with my siblings.

The Not-so-wild Garden


The Snow Flakes were growing at the old house and, happily, have been transplanted here.

The decision to plant fewer veg led to use of this container for bulbs. Iris.

And Purple Coneflower.

And Violas.

The Violas have bloomed and brightened the garden through the winter. [The sticks behind the galvanized tubs are from winter pruning and are awaiting composting.]



Comments