Milagro

Milagro - noun. Spanish for "miracle." 

A surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.*

Beller - verbDialectal variant of "Bellow."**

Mild tamales. Most are in the freezer, but I had two for breakfast.

I was out in the yard filling the water containers I use to haul water to irrigate a recently planted oak in the neighborhood park.**

"Excuse me, ma'am," I heard behind me. There on the driveway was a young man (middle school?). "Would you like to buy some tamales?"

Me: Do you have mild tamales?

G:*** Yes, we have hot and mild.

Me: And how much are they?

G: Twelve dollars a dozen.

Me: Okay, I'll go get my money and you go get the tamales.

<short pause>

Me: So, what is your name?

G: <reply>

Me: Do you have a brother named "Jesus"?

G: Yes.

Me: He used to come by with tortillas and then tamales to my old neighborhood, by the waterpark.

G <eyes opening wide): Yes.

Then there was some discussion of when they generally came by these days and a request not to forget me...and a a warning that I might not always be at the house. Before G went back to the car (where two other brothers waited), I pointed out the whirligig in the tree as a "guide" and I hustled to the kitchen to sample a tamale (they were still warm!). [I lost a piece of masa, but Zelda didn't mind.]

At many moments during this exchange with G I was transported back....Saturday mornings eating warm buttered tortillas with a little cinnamon and sugar...and by the time I was in the house there might have been some tears. [Okay. There might have been moment or two of "bellering." **** No, not pretty - scared the dog.]

Not quite the "communion" that Jesus used to bring,***** but it was a bit of a miracle...

Now it is time to go water that tree.


NOTES:

** All in all I haul about 27 gallons as you want the water to get down deep.

*** The policy here is to avoid identifying non-public figures and children, but the initial will help me remember his name.

**** Beller - verbDialectal variant of "Bellow." [It's what we in the south call ugly crying.]

***** Final note: This is a post about Jesus and tortillas. I know. You need to stay one lightening bolt away from me. But I really do think God has to have a sense of humor... 

https://walkinthepark-padimus.blogspot.com/2014/08/what-will-you-be-wearing-when-jesus.html

Comments