CBC Preparation - Day 3 - Guess What I Saw Today

I know he'd be a poorer man
if he never saw an eagle fly.
~ John Denver

12-18-2020 8:15 a.m.

Today dawned a little misty/foggy. It was a good day for a Bald Eagle. On the drive out to the ponds I kept thinking, "let the eagle be there." I reached the pond on the corner and looked up - and there it was.

The white head and tail of the Bald Eagle almost glow in the early morning light.
See it?

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle. Same bird/different view.

I'm always more than a little excited to see the eagle. I could almost stop right there, but I spent a little more time checking the area and so there is more.

What other new birds showed up today? I think the eagle and Northern Shovelers were the only "new" birds to show up.

Here are a few of my favorite shots.

American Pipit

American Pipit. Same bird/different view. I wonder if this is the same one from yesterday watching me while I watch it.

Northern Shoveler (male): This isn't the best photo as the head is actually green. I know these birds by the bill.

I've never noticed this blue-grey color on a Shoveler (bird in the foreground) before.

 iNaturalist and I think this is a Red-Tailed Hawk. 
It was too far away for a good photo, but better than the "mystery bird" from yesterday.
Great Blue Heron. I have seen them flying over, but this is the first one stay put.

Tomorrow is THE day of the count. It is supposed to rain. That could very well make a difference in the results. Ah well.

Tonight I am working on my gear: waterproof shoes, raincoat, hat(s), orange vest, change of clothes, spotting scope, camera, cell phone, water, coffee, and snacks. I am sure I will forget something. 

Zelda or no Zelda...not sure about that.

Comments